20.D  - Domestic Violence Considerations in Child Support

Domestic Violence Considerations in Child Support Cases 

Nothing is more important to us than the safety of our customers. Your child support worker may  have already discussed ways we can help you obtain support services more safely. We also want  you to be aware of the following: 

Research shows that domestic violence is primarily about power and control, and that the most  dangerous time for victims can be when they leave their abuser. Requesting paternity  establishment and/or child support can signal to batterers that they have lost control for good,  and therefore can sometimes trigger threats and/or violence.  

If it is unsafe to communicate with you by email or text, please tell your child support worker. If you think you’re in immediate danger, call 911 or your local police or sheriff’s department. 

INSERT NAME OF YOUR LOCAL DV AGENCY HERE is our local domestic violence  agency: The advocates there can help with confidential advice, safety planning, threat  assessment and support. They can also help you apply for a protection order, get emergency  housing and/or access other community resources. INSERT WEBSITE LINK FOR DV  AGENCY HERE. Phone number is INSERT PHONE NUMBER FOR YOUR DV  AGENCY HERE. 

Neither our office nor our attorney represents either party in a child support matter. In  other words, we don't represent either you or your ex-partner. We work for and represent the  State of Wyoming, whose job it is to establish paternity and establish, modify and enforce  support orders pursuant to the law. 

Custody and Visitation: 

1. In paternity cases, a child support order may declare your abuser to be the legal father of  your child (possibly giving him more rights to the child that he currently has).  2. Abusers often threaten to and/or do hire lawyers to obtain custody or “50/50” visitation: a. If your ex hires an attorney, we strongly recommend you try to do the same.  A layperson going up against a skilled attorney is not a fair fight. 

b. If you receive a “Counterclaim” or “Crossclaim” or any other legal  document that requires you to answer, you must file an Answer with the  court within 20 days. DO NOT WAIT. CONSULT AN ATTORNEY  IMMEDIATELY IF POSSIBLE, BUT IN ANY EVENT FILE A  



If you need a lawyer: 

The Wyoming Coalition Against Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault has staff attorneys that  may be able to represent you for free. You need not have been physically abused to qualify for  representation. Threats or verbal abuse may qualify. You may fill out the application for these 

services at the following link: https://www.wyomingdvsa.org/legal-program Phone number is  307.755.5481. 

Information about numerous other resources for those who cannot afford an attorney are  available at the following website:  

https://www.wyomingbar.org/for-the-public/hire-a-lawyer/modest-means-program SELF-HELP FORMS 

You can file requests with the court yourself, without a lawyer. The forms are at the following  link: 

https://www.courts.state.wy.us/legal-assistances-and-forms/court-self-help-forms/ VOLUNTEER REFERENCE ATTORNEYS 

There are local attorneys who volunteer for brief one-on-one visits with community members to  provide instruction in filling out legal forms and navigating the court system. 

These sessions are generally held twice per month between 2:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. at: 




You can find the next session here: https://equaljustice.wy.gov/index.php/get-legal help/calendar-of-classes 

The Clerk of District Court’s office at INSERT CDC TELEPHONE NUMBER HERE will  also know the next Volunteer Reference Attorney day. 

Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have further questions. We're here for you when you  need us. 

Cross Reference 


Version Number:  1

Last Revised Date:  May 1, 2022

Last Reviewed:  March 13, 2024